[pct-l] Sierra Conditions

William Skaggs weskaggs at primate.ucdavis.edu
Fri May 16 11:59:11 CDT 2008

> From: "David Dralle" daviddralle at gmail.com
> Subject: [pct-l] Sierra Conditions
>
> My plan is to hike southbound from the oregon-cali border around mid august.
> This will put me through the sierras in october and into the desert. I'm
> worried about drought conditions on my hike, especially in the desert in the
> fall. I've heard a few things about above average snow in the sierras this
> winter making for some extra water in the streams. Does anyone know anything
> about this? Thanks,

Drought conditions in the desert in the fall are pretty much a given, regardless
of snow levels.  You'll just have to deal with it.

Anyway, back around March 1 snow levels were trending above average, but
there was hardly any more snow after that, and right now snow levels in
the southern and central Sierra are at about half of average for this time
of year.  So, you can expect things to be pretty dry in the mountains as
well.  (For northern California, snow levels are currently pretty close to
average for this time of year.)

Also note that it's quite possible to get bad snowstorms in the Sierra
in October -- not usual, but possible -- so you should be ready to deal
with anything that might happen.

  -- Bill

(By the way, please don't quote the whole digest when replying to a message.)