[pct-l] Camping Stove

Will M jalan04 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 18:27:54 CDT 2008

For a short section hike, I would use a light-weight canister stove (Snow
Peak Giga Power is the one I use).  One  canister  should last for a  couple
of weeks depending on use.

For a longer hike, I would recommend an alcohol stove.  Alcohol fuel is more
readily available and the weight savings are worth it.  Thats what I used on
the AT.
Other advantages of the alcohol stoves include its simplicity( no moving
parts, gaskets, valves, etc..) and ease of use.  Just pour out a couple of
capfuls and light.  Be careful though as the flame is invisible in daylight.

Of course a lot depends on individual taste.  With an alcohol stove you're
pretty much limited to boiling water.  You can buy a pot cozy that will
allow you to basically simmer your pot using retained heat.  If you want to
actually do some real cooking though , you're better off with a canister
stove where you can adjust the flame.

My impression is that the  vast majority of thru hikers seem to be using
alcohol stoves though the jet boil system also seems popular.  Some hikers
just eat dry food and save time and weight.

Although I haven't used the esbitt stoves, I'm told the tablets are toxic
and shouldnt be handled with bare hands.  That, and the availability and
transportation issues would make me wary of using that particualr stove.

Of course thats just my personal opinion. I'm sure others will disagree.