[pct-l] Tehachapi Mountains PCT Route

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon May 12 23:28:43 CDT 2008

Well, as a SoCal resident.  I can tell you that most fires down here are not caused by PCT hikers though there have been a couple started.  Most major wilderness area fires here have been caused by natural causes, causal users and arason and not backpackers.  In fact, the likely hood of a fire being started by humans seems to go up the closer developement gets to an area.  The Tehacahapi's will be more in danger due to the new developement that Tejon Ranch will be building then a few hundred PCT hikers each year.  Also, fires already happen naturally in the Tehachapis and is part of the natural cycle.  In fact, I can remember several fires there in the past several years and yet there have been no PCT hikers.  I think you are barking up the wrong tree on this.

-Sean

Sadly, I'm a little bit worried about the hiker impact on this area.  During my recent section hike of sections B, C and part of D, it  seemed not a day went by that I didnt see serious fire damage caused, I'm guessing, by careless PCT hikers.  Then there was the news of the fires near Idyllwild which were also apparently caused by PCT hikers.  I hate to be such a downer because I love hiking and I've enjoyed hiking on the PCT and I think the trail community is awesome but I really have started to develop some serious qualms about the impact that PCT hikers are having on the enviroment.  I'm especially worried about this new section because it is so ecologically sensitive being the home of California condors.

So how is the PCTA going to ensure the safety of this fragile area given the poor history hikers have in caring for trail areas? I know that lots of hikers give back and trail crews do great work taking care of the trail .  Its just that in my mind the impact of these fires just dwarfs all of these efforts. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I really think the trail community needs to do some serious reflection on this issue.  Do we deserve this prized stretch of land or would it be better to just make it a nature sanctuary?

Jalan Jalan