[pct-l] hiking california/oregon/washington coast

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 22:43:11 CDT 2008

>hello. im not quite sure how to use this, but here's my question.
throughout the summer of 2009 my buddy and i want to backpack the coast of california, oregon, and washington. we would be starting somewhere outside of san diego. any information on making this dream a success would be greatly appreciated.
my main questions:
-are these regions accessible to backpackers?
-what about the legal stuff? do we need permits?
-how would we train?
-cost estimation?

First, you would probably approach this in much the same way as you might approach any other through-hike.  You'll probably have to consult a fair number of USGS maps.
In thinking about your approach, keep in mind that much of the coast consists of precipitous drops into the ocean.  In Oregon and Washington, taking a tumble will likely be fatal, for if you survive the actual fall, hypothermia will get you before help can arrive.  Along these parts, you'll likely either hike along Hwy. 101 or head inland a bit.
In Oregon, there are stretches of actual trail on the northern coast.  Beaches in Oregon are, by law, considered to by highways--ergo, there is no such thing as a private beach in Oregon and you may hike and camp along any beach at any time, provided you take the appropriate tide-related precautions.  Also be aware that beaches are not contiguous and you'll have to repeatedly leave and rejoin them if you choose to hike along them.  There are books on the subject (_Backpacking in Oregon_ is one such, discussing at least one of these coastal hikes.), so take a peruse on Amazon.

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR