[pct-l] The KO and Leave No Trace - NOT

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Fri May 2 23:04:00 CDT 2008

This was the first year I attended the KO after reading about it for years
on this list.  I really enjoyed myself. Great to meet some of the famous
and infamous people on this list as well as a lot of new thru hikers
heading out.

On Sunday I helped take down and clean up the campground. I went thru the
upper end of the campground including most camp sites. Most camp sites
were pretty clean -- few discarded items in the fire rings and bits of
trash scattered around. However there were two big exceptions -- fire rings
at sites 22 & 51. Both had lots of discarded aluminum cans and other stuff
in them. I don't know who the offending parties are -- but you do! Clean up
your act! Clean up after yourself!

On another note -- our get together was far from a low impact event.  Lots
and lots of disposable plates, bottles, cutlery used. Recyclables not
separated. How difficult can it be? If you can hike even a mile, you can
separate out the recyclables.

Can we reduce our resource consumption and waste by bringing our own eating
utensils and cleaning them. Drink local water or bottled water from big
reusable bottles rather than all the little bottles of water, drinks, etc.?
And the more we use, the example we set, means increased demand for
consumption of our natural resources including the PCT itself.

Some of you may not like this message but I think the message needs to get
out. Think globally; act locally.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>