[pct-l] Rude behavior in Warner Springs

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 2 14:49:25 CDT 2008

I certainly hope that Iron Chief was kidding when he spoke about going around punching holes in water cashes.  Yes, there are ever more hikers on the trail.  Yes, it is getting easier for people to make the hike.  But I wonder just how much of a bad thing this is.  After all a National Scenic Trail is set aside for the people to enjoy.  This begs the question, which people?  Shall it only be open to the elite, super fit and prepared uber-hikers, or shall it be open to all the people?  Our national parks are open to all as are our national monuments.  People are not required to backpack into Yosemite. We do, but that's just the way we are.

  I understand that the pride of accomplishment is deteriorated a little bit when someone completes the hike that you struggled, trained and planed for without matching your efforts.  But come on now.  With that logic, the freeways should never have been built because a less-than-hearty stock of modern-day pioneers will come west in air-conditioned comfort and stop at hotels along the way.  If they can't do it in a covered wagon, they shouldn't come!

  In hiking ones own hike, some will be more of a wilderness survivor than others.  Okay, so be it.  I am not diminished one bit by someone having an easier time than I on the trail, getting through school, seeking fame and fortune, etc.  We can all take pride in what we have done without comparing ourselves to others.  There is room for all here and no room for viciousness, divisiveness or elitism.

  Well, that is my feeling anyway.  I know that there are those who will disagree with me, and that's okay.  That after is the point, difference and the room to express it.

  Shepherd