[pct-l] ice axe

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Mon Mar 31 08:04:37 CDT 2008

montypct wrote:
> Is there something I should know about the camp corsa?

Just what I'm sure you already know.

The Camp Corsa is certified for use as an ice axe. The Potty Trowel isn't.

I wanted a little more assurance that my ice axe could do what it was
intended to do if I really needed it.

I haven't heard of a single instance when a PCT hiker needed to use is
ice axe for self arrest. As long as you can keep your feet planted in
the snow, the Potty Trowel should be fine. If you do slip, it is better
than nothing.

Like any other piece of gear, we choose the lightest gear that we feel
we can rely on in the conditions we expect to encounter. I wanted
something I could rely on more than the Potty Trowel.