[pct-l] Food Supplies for 6 day Hike

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Sun Mar 30 22:45:45 CDT 2008

My experience is about 2 pounds of food per day per person.  I know other
folks who come in a 1.5 pounds and some at 2.5 pounds.  So, using 2 people 6
days = 24 pounds.  Good news, by day three you will only be carrying half of
it!  I am 5'10" and range between 183 and 200 (currently at the low end I am
happy to report).

Generally I plan out my breakfast and dinners and then add a bunch of
snacks.  I weigh it and adjust the snacks accordingly to get to the right
weight.   I used to add up all the calories and try to carry about 2500 a
day.  Once I figured out that it comes to about 2 pounds . . .  I started
just weighing it.   I know on my hikes I am burning more than 2500 a day and
I am okay with loosing a couple pounds along the way.  From a hunger and
energy standpoint though, the 2500 a day has been enough.  I have had the
ability though to gorge every four days or so in a town and that may help
make up the difference.

Useful or just more confusing . . . You decide!

Gumby