[pct-l] Sayonara

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Sun Mar 30 21:15:39 CDT 2008

Craig,

Best to you and your next venture.  I will be watching.

Odd thing happened to Cpt Bivy and I at the beginning of our hike this
weekend that made me think of you - only because the guy we met was a cheery
and apparently New Zealand gent (though he could have been Australian . . .
If you could get together between countries and one group decide to wear a
funny hat - that would help).

Anyway, we had just put on our packs at and we are heading the short road
walk near Cabazon to the trail head.  I noticed when we parked a News van
parked nearby and some guy taking film of the wild flowers.  I did not think
much of it.  As we were walking the road from behind I hear a "hello - you
gents look like your going for a long walk, where you headed" (again, said
accent).  We turned to meet this young man pushing along on a skate-board of
sorts with a small pack, a gps strapped to it, a couple bottles of water.
We tell him we are going up a section of the PCT.  He asks what the total
distance of the PCT is etc. and some other trivia.  Then we ask him "How far
are you going", he says "Los Angeles . . . I started in Florida, I guess
that's why they are here"  He points forward and I had not noticed that the
news van is now parked in front of us about 200 yards and he is shooting
footage of our conversation as he collects footage for the news story when
this guy completes his journey.  I got his name as Rob.  He seemed to find
our names, Gumby and Bivy a bit odd though his facial expression recovered
quickly.  What a hoot!

Anyway, seems there are a few out there like yourself looking for something
interesting to do.  I enjoyed meeting you last year and I wish you the best
in Japan.

Bill  -   Gumby