[pct-l] What would you do? Ice axe and crampons, still befuddled.

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Mar 30 07:35:35 CDT 2008

Good morning, Mark,

The question is not so much what is the best alpine mountaineering gear; the
question is what is the most appropriate gear for alpine trail hiking.
Full-platform, 10-point crampons are fine for climbing high-angle snowpack
but the PCT is low-angle business, mostly with a need to avoid slipping on
moderate to slight traverses.  Typical mountaineering boots are useful to
provide ankle support for, and control of, the aggressive crampons.  While
the boots are occasionally useful for kick-stepping - something at which
sneakers are poor - the general rule is if you don't need the aggressive
crampons you don't need the alpine boots.  I generally get by well with
nothing but the sneakers, but I do often use 9-ounce instep crampons on
them, or I install sheet metal screws in their soles.

Similarly, a stout, traditional-length mountaineering ice axe is great for
regular step-chopping and for use in belaying, but that's not trail
business.  If I carry an ice axe I use a short, light, 9-ounce, 50-cm. model
adequate to arrest a fall or chop an occasional step.  I don't consider
belaying because I don't carry a rope.

Carrying "what-if" alpine gear can quickly get out of hand:  Boots, ice axe,
crampons, rope, etc. means a larger, heavier pack.  All of that slows
progress, which means more food is necessary for the additional effort and
increased number of days.  That additional weight also increases the
propensity to post-hole, reducing the window of hiking time, again requiring
more time and food.  What's next -- snow shoes?  Carrying extra gear is like
wiping your ass on a hoop: The more you work, the worse it seems to get.

Steel-Eye