[pct-l] Trail Meals/Food

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 25 14:11:04 CDT 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 11:20 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Trying to get my thoughts on food organized before I make a big
> shopping
> trip. I thought I would poll you all for some new food ideas while out
> hiking. I will be using an alcohol stove and would like to build my
> arsenal
> of good, healthy, hiker-friendly meals. So, what are your favorite
> things to
> eat on trail?
>
> Pura vida
> Brian

I have been testing foods with the intention of not eating the same
thing day after day. I have always done 4 or 5 day trips, never one
this long, so I'm hoping to find things that are more natural and
nutritious than the usual ramen and instant potatoes and instant mac
and cheese I normally subsist on.

I have found that red lentils cook up very quickly, especially if you
soak them in water during the day. They soften in a few hours. Yellow
lentils would work too, but the normal kind and the french green kind
take too long too cook.

Quinoa is ready to eat as soon as the water is boiling. It tastes
really good, too. I have found quinoa flakes, which is instant. Just
add hot water. I think the whole quinoa tastes better.

Cous-cous is nearly instant (pour hot water on it and wait a few
minutes) and there's also Israeli cous-cous which looks like little
pearls. It's just as quick as the finer stuff but seems completely
different. I also found whole wheat cous-cous which ought to be more
healthy if it really is whole wheat.

I intend to bring some seasoning, including dried onions and finely
cut up dried tomatoes. I was not able to make dried pasta sauce in my
dehydrator. The Asian food store has packets of Indian and Thai spice
paste. It's expensive but just a dab of it will do, so in the end it
might actually be cost-effective. Some spice paste comes in cans and
if you can vacuum pack it this might cost less. Some of the Thai
curries require coconut milk, but the Asian store has a coconut milk
powder you can use instead which is ok. Most of these asian foods
taste great with peanuts , peanut butter or cashews added.

The Asian market also had freeze-dried tofu blocks. And I believe
that despite what the package says, miso keeps without refrigeration
for a reasonable amount of time. I love a cup of miso soup to
replenish my sodium and warm up in the evening when it starts to get
cold. I have usually brought some very expensive powdered stuff
called Miso Cup but I'm thinking it would be much more cost-effective
to bring the real thing. Asian markets are a great place for unusual
dried things. The mushrooms are delicious but you have to soak them
during the day.

Other "seasoning" I've found are dried fruits called "Just Fruit". I
think they are freeze dried. I like the berries. Just a few added to
oatmeal or granola adds a ton of flavor and the stuff is practically
weightless. Costs less than dehydrating your own fruit.

I would like some input on fats. I need more fats to make the food
more satisfying. Squeeze Parkay and other disgusting things like
squeezable cheese just gross me out. Got any better ideas?

Diane