[pct-l] John Muir Trail

Jeff Whitmer heynicemarmot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:27:30 CDT 2008

I'm not going to say you can't, because I have heard of people doing it in
the winter. I know I wouldn't be able to.

VVR, MTR, and most packers won't be open yet. I'm not sure if Reds Meadow
would be open or not. Tuolumne Meadows won't have much activity either. Most
hitches will be extremely difficult. You'll be going slower and caryring
more stuff, so keep that in mind.

You'll want to have excellent route finding skills and it would be very
helpful to go with someone who knows the trail. Ice ax, snow shoes, and
crampons go without saying. Even then, I have no idea how you would get down
Forester Pass. I imagine it would be a giant cornice.