[pct-l] 2008 Resupply recommendations, please

joel01 at ekit.com joel01 at ekit.com
Sat Mar 22 18:32:09 CDT 2008

from 2007

>  Walker Pass - Onyx/Lake Isabella?

I carried enough from Mojave to get me through to KM.

>  Kennedy Meadows campground/store?

Mailed package there (including bear canister). Spent a lot of time
eating at their grill and also enjoyed the weekly pot luck.

>  Vermillion Valley?

I mailed package to VVR. The meals I was served were decent size but
I didn't find them very tasty. The pie and 4 scoops of ice cream I
split with another hiker (Out of Order) was worth it. There was
enough food in the hiker barrel that I could have resupplied to get
me to Reds Meadow. Plus there was a shower and washing machine.

Since I walked through from KM this was a worthwhile stop. I
possibly spent less doing this than if I would have gone to Bishop
or Independence and paid for a room and other town stuff.

>  Belden?

They gave me a lift to and from the trail so as to avoid traffic on
road. Small store nearby, you can maybe scrounge out some meals from
here, plus they have a grill/diner.

>  Burney Falls State Park

Resupplied from store. Others mailed packages here.

>  Callahan's? -

They were accepting packages while the rebuild continued, though
many hikers take a trip into Ashland and resupply there for the next
stretch plus mailing other packages for the rest of Oregon.

>  Ollalie Lake?

Didn't send there.

>  Snoqualmie Pass?

If you specify to "hold up front at Chevron" then you can easily get
your package during business hours. Otherwise, you have to wait for
the P.O. to open like I did. The P.O. has limited hours. (It was a
Sunday when I arrived and I had met one of the postal workers out
taking a dayhike earlier that day. I still had to wait till 9 or 10
Monday morning to get my box).

>  Skykomish? - Are the Dinsmore's still local trail
>angels?

Other hikers went down there and reported a great experience. I
continued on to Stehekin without stopping.