[pct-l] Poodle Dog Bush

Dana Law mindreader at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:06:56 CDT 2008

I saw this plant only once about 3 years ago in the burn area on the PCT
just before Deep Creek on the north side of the San Bernardino's.  It was so
dramatic (and pretty) I wanted to touch it but was warned off by a fellow
hiker who knew its danger.

Check out the picture after the official warning.

Dana Law
pctdanalaw.blogspot.com

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection issued a caution
last week regarding a flower found in the Riverside county burn areas.
Below is an excerpt from that notice so that we may be aware of the flower
possibly blooming in our territory:

*Riverside*- As many of our local foothill areas continue the natural
healing process from the fire scars of the last few years, Mother Nature is
providing a few surprises in the process.  One worth mentioning is in the
colorful Poodle-dog bush, *Turricula parryi*.  This beautiful purple
flowered plant has populated many of the burned areas from the 2003 fires
and will likewise do so within the areas burned in the fires of 2007.
Touching this beautiful flowering plant can lead to severe dermatitis in
many people, typical of that associated with poison oak.  Symptoms include
blistering of the skin, itchy irritated skin and swelling.  Symptoms may not
present themselves for 12-36 hours after exposure and no pain is experienced
at the time of contact.  All contact with the plant including touching,
smelling flowers, and breathing particulate matter should be avoided as you
avoid poison oak.

Further information on this plant is available online at:

www.calflora.net/bloomingplants/poodledogbush.html
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." Andre
Gide