[pct-l] as anyone carried a full size DSLR for the entire PCT?

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 00:26:53 CDT 2008

Travis,
Andrew,

My thoughts are that if you are an avid photographer and enjoy taking high quality pics of your adventure, don't worry about the additional weight.  You can compensate if necessary.  Far too often the ultralight gram weenies on this list try and persuade newbies to go light.  Hike this hike your way and take what you want.  If you are into high quality pics, you will likely not be truely happy with the quality that you will get from the light weight digitals.  For me, the quality of these pics were sufficient, but after seeing the quality of pictures from Bearcant in 2005 and from Aaron in 2006, I would strongly consider going with a different (likely heavier) setup when I hike again.

Once you are on the trail for a week or two, you will likely acclimate to whatever pack weight you choose.  In 2006, I was heavier than most of the ultralight gang and it didn't hinder me in the least.  You can always choose to send your setup home if it does become a burden.  For me, I would suggest looking for a chest harness similar to what I think Bearcant used in 2005 as this seemed to take much of the weight off then neck when carrying the heavier rig.

I look forward to seeing your photos!

Elevator

From: Travis Beals <trbeals at berkeley.edu>