[pct-l] trail heads

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Mar 15 19:25:10 CDT 2008

There are 1074 miles of PCT north of Walker Pass. That's a LOT of access roads and trailheads - too many for this forum. You're better off reading the Guidebooks.

Now, if you could narrow down that 1074 miles a LOT so we have a better idea of where you'd like to consider walking, I'm sure we can help.

It would also be helpful to know how you are planning to get to said trailheads and access roads - driving yourself, riding with friends, public transport, etc.

For starters, your first road access north of Walker Pass is at Chimney Creek Campground. You can get there two was: (1) From Hwy 178 east of Onyx via unpaved, maintained Canebrake Road. or (2) From Hwy 395 via the road to Kennedy Meadows (Nine Mile Canyon Road) - go 10.8 miles to its T-junction with Canebrake Road, turn left and go 4 miles to the campground. The PCT crosses Canebrake Road about 1/4 mile west of the campground.

Your next access point north is Kennedy Meadows itself. Take Nine Mile Canyon Road 14.2 miles from Hwy 395. The PCT runs right through KM campground.

This list goes on..............

Wandering Bob