[pct-l] RE Subject: Being 61

JOHNNY J FARBER farber51 at msn.com
Sat Mar 15 12:44:12 CDT 2008

Hi Bill,
EZ and I are 62 so here's my 2 cents.  First what kind of surfaces are you training on?  If you're hiking on pavement get off it onto the sholder or grass.  Hard surfaces are jolting to the legs and don't strenghten the feet and legs for the uneven surfaces of the trail.  Second, be sure your shoes offer support.  Shoes are supposed to be good for 500 miles, but can break down before that.  Third, get some superfeet from REI.  If your feet aren't supported there is extra stress on the knees.  Fourth, strenghten those knees with leg extensions--3-4 sets of 12 to 20 every day 3xweek.  Fifth, stretch, stretch, stretch.  Stretch before, during and after training.  As muscles get stronger they shorten and this puts stress on the knee and other joints.  Sixth, I've used a neoprene brace for support if something hurts and after a few days the injured area heals.  Hope this helps---Sharon "FREE' Farber