[pct-l] Hiker friendly stays/eats

Scott Herriott yetifan at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 14:41:22 CDT 2008

Mark queried:

> While we are on this topic, what some of the places
> to stay, visit, and/or eat that you would recommend
> as a must or must avoid?

Places I've loved along the trail...

Paradise Cafe on Hwy 138 (the Jose Burger has lived up
to the hype)

Idyllwild Inn (great cabins!)

Nature's Inn in Big Bear City

Deep Creek

(the following four are awesome trail angels...please
give back in some way if you visit there)

Saufleys - Agua Dulce, CA       Mile 455
Andersons - Green Valley, CA    Mile 478.6
Heitmans - Old Station, CA      Mile 1377.7
Dinsmores - Skykomish, WA       Mile 2476.3

Hangin' a day or two in Kennedy Meadows

Anywhere in the Sierra

Lone Pine (imho, worth a hitch or a drop down via
Cottonwood Pass or Trail Pass)...Dow Villa Motel is
great...Pizza Factory with outdoor misters spectacular
on a 100+ degree day.

Vermillion Valley Resort

Etna - great little town with old-fashioned soda
fountain in the drug store

Ashland - finally went there last year...loved it

Crater Lake - seriously beautiful

Ollalie Lake Resort - right off the trail...good tiny
porch to chill out and see Mt. Jefferson looming over
the lake.

Timberline Lodge - great breakfast buffet.

Eagle Creek Trail - definite don't miss stretch.  Keep
 eye out for Bigfoot.

Goat Rocks Wilderness

Squatch
www.walkpct.com