[pct-l] Cajon Junction report

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 11 13:00:46 CDT 2008

I cleaned up some gaps in my section hiking yesterday,
not according to my original plan, but spontaneously
replanned.

D1-D2: the short stretch from Swarthout Canyon Rd to
Sharpless Ranch Rd is in immaculate condition.    But
Fred from Wrightwood was there making it even more
beautiful.     The Trailratz water cache cabinet is
ready for stocking.     There was even some dark
liquid
in the Bike Spring concrete tub.     The nice flat
in the valley used by the PCTA at the time of the
2005 annual
meeting in Riverside has been blocked off now.

C14-C15:  The Silverwood Lake stretch is also in great
condition, thanks to a recent fire that set back the
brush long enough for the trail maintainers to catch
up.   The Garces Overlook Gazebo was probably made of
wood.

No trouble following the trail from the Hwy 138
Silverwood interchange to the former site of the
former jeep road to the former site of the former
Summit Valley Country Market.   The store is gone
so the jeep road (which roughly follows some local
utility poles) won't be missed.

There is one burned
manzanita trunk complex blocking the trail just
south of where the trail coincides with the utility
road on the west shore of the lake.    It could be
cleared with hand tools, maximum limb diameter less
than 3" I think.

I pretended to be a through hiker and ate all three
meals at the McDonalds.    (Of course a real through
hiker would have eaten all three meals in immediate
succession.)    I also stayed at the Best Western
and it was OK but noisy, and the wireless internet
didn't work in my room, the hot tub/pool were closed,
they didn't have breakfast, but the basic motel
function was adequate.

So south of Sequoia Park boundary, I'm only missing
about 110 miles from the site of the former jeep road
to the site of the former country market... to the
site of the former pink motel.