[pct-l] poison oak

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Sun Mar 9 21:44:04 CDT 2008

The general rule seems to be to wash off as quickly as possible.  Sometimes
though you wont know you hit it.  Then once it starts to itch - wash it off.
Any mild soap will do, even a bit of tooth paste and water will do.  As for
the itching after the fact, my impression has been (and I have had it bad a
couple times) that the powders, creams, etc just give you something to do
while it works itself out.

Most people report seeing very little along the trail.  While I have only
hiked the Southern Calif section, the only place I ran into it -and there
was a boat load - was on the final couple miles approaching Barrel Springs.
Funny, most of the Poison Oak was tagged with a pink ribbon.  When you get
to Barrel there is a sign for south bound hikers noting that the pink ribbon
indicates poison oak.  For the bulk of people hiking north though, no such
indicator.

PGumby