[pct-l] How early can I start WA?

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Sun Mar 9 13:00:42 CDT 2008

Hi Phillip,

Based on the current snowpack (but not yet knowing anything about the
kind of weather we'll have during the spring), I would guess that the
higher elevations of the trail--Goat Rocks, Snoqualmie to Stevens,
Glacier Peak area, and the section between Rainy Pass and the Canadian
border--will not offer mostly snow-free hiking till late July.

If you want a slightly earlier start, you could start at Manning and go
sobo.  You might get by with as early a start as around July 4, but
waiting till the 10th or so would probably better.  The reason for a
slightly earlier start there is that that section, even though high, is
in the widest part of the range.  As a result, there's a lot of mountain
mass to west of the PCT there, and all those mountains to west wring out
a lot of the moisture from incoming storms, so the snowpack there is not
quite as deep as the higher elevations further south.  Also, that
section gets a little more sun which helps the melt-out.

I don't know the trail in the southern part of the state.  If it stays
low for quite a while, you could start earlier there too, and time your
entry into the high elevations on that part of the trail to be around
the end of July.  By "high elevations" I'm thinking around 5,000.
Anything at that elevation or above is going to have snow till late July
(with the exception of the far north described above) unless we get an
usually warm and sunny spring.

WA typically has its best weather for hikers from mid-July thru
mid-August, with mid-August thru mid-September usually being pretty nice
as well.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Greg