[pct-l] steripen for water purification

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Sun Mar 9 12:03:40 CDT 2008

Mr. Wizard wrote:

Anecdotal data: For the rest of the Oregon/Washington trip three of us
used the SteriPEN exclusively. The fourth member of the group used a
filter. He got giardia; we didn't!

Wow, that sucks (for the fourth member of the group).

It does not bode well for filter users.

Did he always use his filter or were there times when he drank right out
of a stream without filtering?  Are you sure it was giardia?  Was the
diagnosis confirmed by a doctor?

Thanks!

Greg