[pct-l] Propane/butane canister availability

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 8 00:44:53 CST 2008

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning to hike the Sierra section (Walker Pass to
Soda Springs) of the PCT this summer. I've been trying to find
information about availability of propane/butane fuel canisters (i.e.,
MSR IsoPro, Snow Peak GigaPower, Primus, or any other brand of screw-
on canister that would fit a Snow Peak Giga Power stove). I have the
Pacific Crest Trail guidebook and also Yogi's PCT handbook, but
neither lists canister fuel availability.

Here's the information I have so far:

Onyx: ?
Kennedy Meadows: ?
Lone Pine: Very likely (has multiple sporting goods stores)
Independence: ?
Muir Trail Ranch: Yes (according to web site)
VVR: Very likely (website says they carry stove fuel, but does not
list kinds)
Red's Meadow / Mammoth Lakes : Maybe in Red's (website unclear) / very
likely in Mammoth Lakes (has multiple sporting goods stores)
Tuolumne Meadows: Maybe
Sonora Pass / N. Kennedy Meadows / Bridgeport: N. Kennedy Meadows is
unknown, Bridgeport may have fuel (one sporting goods store)
Markleeville: ?
Echo Lake / South Lake Tahoe : Unlikely in Echo Lake, very likely in
South Lake Tahoe (has multiple sporting goods stores)
Soda Springs / Truckee: Probably can find fuel in Truckee

Most of this information just comes from the internet; I haven't ever
hiked the trail and can't personally vouch for any of it. If you can
confirm either the presence or absence of fuel canisters in any of
these towns, that would be very helpful to me (and probably others on
this list). If you do have information on any of these locations,
please mention the specific store where you found fuel as well as the
year you hiked. Some of these stores may have changed hands recently,
so it would be helpful to know how recent the information is.

Many thanks!

-Travis