[pct-l] discounts. was: Kickoff & Warner Springs Resort Dinner

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sun Mar 2 23:42:06 CST 2008

After I posted my last message, my old brain started rummaging in its old
files. I recall reading in Frommer's Europe on $5 and $10 a Day that in
Europe it is considerable very acceptable for one to ask for a discount or
politely bargain for the room rate. Also to inspect the room in which you
will be staying before paying. And yes, I read that book many, many, many
moons ago.

I've done this various times.  Also it is perfectly acceptable to ask for
their best rate or what discounts are available. Also typically there are
special discounts available for people attending conferences and conventions.

Motels and hotels have a very perishable commodity -- a night stay in a
room.  If they don't rent it, that night in that room is gone forever.

So the take away message -- ask (politely) for the discount / lower rate.
The business has the option of giving one or not.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>