[pct-l] Kickoff & Warner Springs Resort Dinner

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 2 16:10:29 CST 2008

> On the other hand, Warner's discount motivation might also be that
> promoting hiker friendly and discounts is excellent for business.
> Since 80+% of Warner's business is weekend based - especially
> before school is out - it must be great to have rooms filled Sunday
> through Thursday as hikers arrive any day.   If that is the
> motivation, then Switch may be okay.  Considering he would not be
> there were it not for the hikers and he is staying on the off-nights.
>
> I will bet if he said, " I am a trail volunteer helping to get the
> hikers around.  Would it be possible to get the hiker rate?"   I
> suspect they would say yes.

In 2006, Dr. Bob and I helped Charlie Jones lug water up to the 3rd
gate on our way to the kickoff, where I also did trail work and
helped give rides to hikers.  We stayed at Warner Springs the night
before we met up with Charlie, and I asked if we could have the PCT
hiker discount, because we ARE hikers and also trail volunteers but
were, at the moment, in a vehicle on the way to the border for Dr.
Bob to start his hike.  They explained that the PCT hiker discount
was only for hikers WHILE HIKING THROUGH Warner Springs.  So I paid
the regular price, which was not a problem.  When I hiked through
Warner Springs in 2003, I was offered a discount (I did not ask for
it).  I am a section hiker and was not asked how far I was hiking.

Two Legs