[pct-l] Departure Date Quotas?

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 1 16:40:36 CST 2008

I know I will most likely be shot dead for this suggestion, but hear is goes. On the JMT, a number of years ago, you could be issued a permit over the counter at any time of year. Then the JMT became a state hiway as some back country rangers explained, they introduced a quota system, as they have had to climb Mnt. Whitney for a number of years. It was a drag for some people, but for others it became a blessing, while they were trying to enjoy a wilderness experience. One thing is for sure, if the heard does not spread its self along the trail, this is where we are heading. I myself would like to see the crowds more spread out, for I hike the PCT, for the wilderness experience FIRST, and the social experience last. tj