[pct-l] How steep is the trail

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Sat Mar 1 13:53:23 CST 2008

I try to avoid hiking when it is cold and snowy, but I will try to
give a serious answer to your question.   There are many places where
the trail traverses along the side of a very steep slope. That is why
horses can do the trail and not encounter undue steepness while we
have to worry about slipping and sliding off trail onto a steep
slope.. I have always assumed that the ice axe issue was about that
kind of situation where the trail is snow covered and the flat
trailbed is not apparent. Also, there can be a situation where there
are switchbacks  over a pass and the trail is covered and the snow
has covered and smoothed out or hidden the ledge of the trailbed and
the slope is slippery.  I hope someone with more direct experience
can indicate whether my understanding is correct.

Alternate routes --- It sounds like you have  experience with
off-trail hiking and could probably find alternate routes in many
cases. However, I think there are places where that may not be so
easy. Forrester Pass comes to mind.

I hope this is helpful.

Pieces