[pct-l] The ADZ CONTOVERSY AS IT APPEARS TO AN OUTSIDER

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Sat Mar 1 00:08:39 CST 2008

In a message dated 3/1/2008 12:44:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dsaufley at sprynet.com writes:

Hmmm.  That's interesting. About 100% of the hikers who've shared  their AT
trail angel experiences (established hostels, not random magic)  state that
almost all of the hostels on the AT are work-for-stay or  pay-for-stays.  The
only "free"  hostel they've told me about  (pardon me if I get his name
wrong) Bob Peoples.  That is why I have  this assumption.  Please correct me
if there are others . . .

------------

Yeah, it's Bob Peoples.  Him and his wife Pat, are the Jeff and Donna  of the
PCT.  : )  Tremendously loving people. Bob also started a  hiker-maintenance
patch.  For 8 hours of work on the trai you get a  patch.  I was1st with
another guy to get one and now they're up to 1000 or  more (they used to have my
name listed).  It may be something that would  work on the PCT.  I'll take some
time this year if there's anything in your  area.

_http://www.tehcc.org/A.T.maint.htm#gi_
(http://www.tehcc.org/A.T.maint.htm#gi)

The others are church hostels, that are free or $5 donation some of  the
towns that have them (or had them in the past) are Hot Springs, Damascus,
Delaware Water Gap,  Vernon, NJ, Greymoor, NY , Manchester Center,   VT

Other civilen hostels for free are Tom Larvardi, Dalton Ma, the Weatherman
or Birdman in Ma or VT, Ma.

The pay hostels charge any where from $10-$20 and usually do shuttles,  have
laundry and may serve breakfast.

I'll send you a recent guidebook

Sly

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)