[pct-l] Where are the bears?

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Mon Jun 30 22:37:44 CDT 2008

This link contains a map of all canister-required areas in the Sierra:

http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/foodstoragemap.htm

This map also includes the location of backcountry bear boxes.  It is still best to contact the individual areas (Yosemite NP, Inyo NF, and Sequoia-Kings Canyon (SEKI) NP specifically) in case there are any new restrictions not on the map--these are rare, but happen occasionally.  There are rumors that SEKI may remove some backcountry bear boxes and expand the canister-required areas next year.

Note that "proper food storage"--defined as properly hanging food and actively defending it from bears--is required in all of the Sierra wilderness areas.  You can still be cited and fined if a bear gets your food outside of a canister-required area.  That said, bear incidents in the backcountry are quite infrequent north of Dorothy Lake Pass or south of Cottonwood Pass.

Checked by AVG.