[pct-l] Suggestions for nobo PCT hike starting point in No. Calif.

Laraine Downer larainekate at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 11:05:05 CDT 2008

Hi Georgi,

  I'm the one ("Ladeda") who had to abort her planned thru-hike way back at Morena due to sciatica problems. I'm all healed up now and raring to go . . . but now seems like Northern Calif. is on fire!  I had planned on picking up on my 2000 solo hike at about Sierra City and heading nobo this week ......

  So ... been checking conditions and reading the list, and greatly appreciate your in-depth reports on current conditions in your area ... would you recommend that I wait a week or two and begin my nobo hike at Castella? Or could I possibly start someplace earlier (Burney Falls or Old Station)? I can see from your current Wolfman report that I don't want to get to Oregon too soon (and I do plan to start out slowly to give the old back a chance to really get back in the groove).

  Luckily, friend Melouise & I were able to hike from Barker Pass to Granite Chief just before all the fires started. We had BEAUTIFUL weather, clear skies and many snow "patches" to conquer (just enough to give us old gals some thrills). I was pleased to learn that my body felt "normal" afterwards which accounts for me being anxious to get back out on the trail.

  Not wanting to get caught in a forest fire and, especially not wanting to be breathing all that smoke, I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer.

  Thanks,
  Laraine/Ladeda