[pct-l] Why remove bear lockers

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Fri Jun 27 20:15:03 CDT 2008

  Aside from creating overused areas around bear lockers, the lockers often do not accomplish what was intended...
  If people rely on the lockers and try to go without a bear cannister (which is not uncommon), the bears learn that to get food, they need to raid the backpack.  Twice on our JMT hikes we learned of hikers who set down their packs and walked a short distance away.  One was a hiker getting water at Wallace Creek, another at Wood Creek.  In both instances, the 'bear came out of nowhere' and mauled the pack.  If cannisters were reliably used, bears would learn that there is nothing to be gained from this behavior.
Ellen