[pct-l] Why remove Bear Lockers

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 27 12:47:30 CDT 2008

I should have known--when in doubt, blame Congress, and you'll usually
be right.

As much as I appreciated having a "proper" bathroom when I hiked the
Whitney trail a few years ago, I can understand the Forrest Service
not wanting to devote the manpower and expense to maintaining them and
transporting the waste off the mountain. All the outhouses really did
was increase convenience for humans.

The bear lockers are another story. They're already in place, and they
require essentially zero maintenance. They're there for the protection
of wildlife rather than the convenience of humans. I could even see
removing rather than repairing broken lockers, but removing functional
lockers seems like it will do more to hurt than help the goals of the
Wilderness Act. The Park and Forrest Services already know from
surveys that one of the most common causes of bears getting food in
the wilderness is people having more food than will fit in their
canister; this will just exacerbate that problem.

Is there any hope of changing their minds through a polite campaign of
emails or phone calls? Who would we contact? Is this just tilting at
windmills?