[pct-l] Bear Cannisters

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 26 14:06:52 CDT 2008

Diane,

I've hiked the stretch of the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite
Valley, and there are LOTS OF BEARS. We encountered five in a 24-hour
period (we were above Little Yosemite Valley, near Half Dome). One was
very aggressive about trying to get our food, and batted around our
bear canisters. This was with a group of six people, so I imagine the
bears might be even more bold versus just one human. There are no bear
boxes on this stretch (except at Tuolumne Meadows and in the Valley),
but you can rent a large bear can from Tuolumne Meadows and carry it
to the Valley for about $5.

-Travis