[pct-l] Western States 100 run cancled+health hazard to thrus?

goslowgofar goslowgofar at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 13:45:30 CDT 2008

Ned wrote:

Can anyone on this List determine for those hikers out on the trail under
all this smoke whether or not hiking this year in the affected areas will be
hazardous to their health?

With the Western States 100 outright cancelled due to health concerns, among
others, are our thrus in any respiratory danger out there?

Should they be hiking with some sort of wet bandanas over their faces?

Mtnned

Hi Ned
A wet bandana will not help protect you from the poor air quality.   Right now we are seeing an unprecedented double-whammy here in Yosemite with the high ozone and high particulate matter.  Sequoia/Kings Canyon and Yosemite are putting out notices to warn people to restrict their activities outdoors - especially if they are young, elderly or have compromised respiratory systems.  The levels of these pollutants are high enough for even the healthy to be concerned. The following AQ alert is also applicable to the higher elevations right now - not just the foothills.

http://tinyurl.com/487ovz

Unfortunately, it may look like this for quite awhile...
Katy