[pct-l] Bear Cannisters or not

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jun 26 13:05:11 CDT 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Bear Cannisters or not

I find it quite stunning how snippy people can be on this list and
how unlike real PCT hikers they sound. I can't wait to return to the
trail where people are actually kind, helpful and friendly.

I actually have a bear can and I'm being scolded as if I do not. My
point was that if you are concerned about the weight of bear cans,
don't be. Get a big one because they really don't weigh much more
than the small one and compared to all that water you will have been
hauling for the first 700 miles, the big bear can weighs almost
nothing. Get a big one because the small one is too small, as my
personal experience has shown me.

Whenever you all actually hit the trail, I guarantee you will find
yourself in some town struggling to order something to be delivered
to your next town and possibly not succeeding at receiving it and
thus hiking on without something important that you need and doing
the best you can. Maps, shoes that aren't falling apart, something
important will be needed just when it's hardest for you to acquire.
The arm-chair hikers will scold, but they just don't know the reality.

And by the way, Santa Barbara Hikes isn't an "organization". It's
just me.