[pct-l] Northern California Fires

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Thu Jun 26 11:00:05 CDT 2008

I think inciweb.org is just overloaded because of all the interest in
the fires. I would guess this is preventing fire managers from
uploading information, which is probably why the information is not
current when you can get on the site, usually late at night or early
in the morning.

In case anyone is interested, here are some screen shots of what the
MODIS fire data looks like in google earth. As Matt noted you can also
view the data here too:

http://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.htm

But in google earth you can load the PCT at the same time, and see the
fires relative to the trail which shows as the red line in the screen
shots below. Fires are red or orange dots. Data was downloaded about 7
am this morning.

Quincy area fires:
http://www.pctmap.net/pctdownloads/quincy_fire.jpg

Chester area fires:
http://www.pctmap.net/pctdownloads/chester_fire.jpg

Burney area fires:
http://www.pctmap.net/pctdownloads/burney_fire.jpg

-Halfmile

ps If you have google earth and want to do this yourself, the MODIS
fire date is here:
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/    (use the link that says "download KMZ file")

The PCT  file can be downloaded here:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/215852/page/