[pct-l] response to Scary Stuff Ahead

Carolyn Clark dr_carolyn at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 22:57:43 CDT 2008

 Diane,
When I hiked from Tuolumne to Sonora Pass, I was deathly afraid of the river crossings.  We did cross Return Ck, but went upstream a bit where it was less strong.  Shortly after that, we ended up taking a long alternate route, recommended by a Ranger we met on the trail.  (He lent us his map; you will need a good map for this.)  This route keeps you high and out of all deep river crossings such as Kerrick etc. Mosquitoes are fewer, too.
I have a vivid picture of this entire route in my mind, but my memory of names might be slightly off.  A map will show you.  We left the official PCT and ascended Matterhorn Cyn, over Burro Pass to Sawtooth Ridge, then down Mule Pass, and around Crown-something Lake (what's the name of the whiskey with Crown in it?  Crown Royal?  Royal Crown?).  We rejoined the PCT at West Fork West Walker.  This stretch was stunningly gorgeous, though we did encounter one lingering snowfield that was intimidating to me.  This alternate route ought to be added to the guidebook.
"PaperClip"
Carolyn