[pct-l] MP3 players and hiking

taterno at cox.net taterno at cox.net
Wed Jun 25 22:24:06 CDT 2008

Philippa,
I shy away from any player with a hard drive, like the older iPods.  I have an iPod with hard drive.  It is relatively heavy and I worry about drops that could damage the hard drive.  I also do not want to carry a solar charger, because the best one for the job, the Solio, is also heavy.  While I do not have one yet, I am going to buy a flash drive mp3 player that is powered with AAA or AA batteries.  This is the simplest solution for me, and the cheapest.  The quality of mp3 is lower than AIFF recorded tunes on an iPod.  But, while backpacking, I don't mind lower quality.  I typically use recorded music to fall asleep, or listen to recorded books from a service such as audible.com.

In summary, my check list, in order if importance:
1. Durability
2. Battery powered
3. Weight
4. Cost

Tom KI6ASP
The Incredible Bulk

---- Philippa Nye <philippanye at yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm trying to choose an MP3 player to take on my section hike.  I've never used one and am not sure about how  charging them up during resupply stops will work, and if there are some that are better than others in terms of battery life and ease of recharging.  Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestions on what to look for?  Has anyone had success charging one of them with a Solio solar charger?  I have a gift certificate at a certain store that sells Ipod, Zune, Sansa, Samsung and Sony players so that's what I'm choosing between.  Appreciate any advice!

Philippa