[pct-l] water from Trail Pass

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 12:22:00 CDT 2008

Amanda, you'll find water sources very often from the Kern River Bridge ~15 miles north of Kennedy Meadows all the way north to Sonora Pass and beyond.  I don't remember ever going more than an hour between sources.   This area is however, still full of cattle and cattle poop.  So, i would treat the water to be safe, although admittedly i didn't because my Steripen had broken.  I think the crux of finding a safe source isn't so much in the speed of the water flow.  It's in the slope (or other factors) upstream.  You could be drawing from a fast-moving stream downslope from a stagnant meadow, and that would likely have all sorts of nasties in it.  Or you could draw from a slow moving creek that is coming from cliffside snowmelt, and it would be pretty safe water.  So i try to check the topo and have a good look upstream first, and then use common sense.  No giardia yet for me.  (Which probably means i'm a carrier!  :) )

p.s.  thanks for the ride offer, but i'm bent on getting back on trail the day i arrive.  i'm splurging on a rental car...Enterprise h as only a $25 one-way drop fee.