[pct-l] hydration question!

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 17:45:12 CDT 2008

On Jun 24, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Steel-Eye wrote:
> Plus there us
> usually a water resupply point somewhere during the day, and the
> best plan
> is -- provided the water availability is reliable -- to arrive
> thirsty and
> tank-up both you and your bottles.

I have to disagree with this.  Arriving at a water source thirsty and
without water means that you have been dehydrated with no margin of
error for some period of time prior to arrival.  Even minor
dehydration makes your muscles less efficient and what happens if you
are injured and unable to make it to the water source in a timely
manner?

I'm not suggesting that everyone plan to arrive at a water source
with an extra 2L of water, just that everyone should be aware that
small mistakes add up quickly.  If you stay hydrated at all times and
plan to arrive at a water source with a little water to spare you've
got a nice margin of error to work with.  In hot dry weather and/or
marginal water sources you should probably plan to be able to skip a
water source or be willing to do the extra miles to an alternate off-
trail water source.

Radar