[pct-l] Non free standing tents

Jim McCrain jim at mccrain.net
Fri Jun 20 10:45:04 CDT 2008

Howdy Bill!

Hey, I have no problem with doing ANYTHING in a survival situation.  You do what you have to do to stay alive!  I was just trying to get the point across that you don't trench unless you absolutely have to.

When I was in the Boy Scouts, many, many years ago, they actually ADVOCATED digging a trench around EVERY campsite.  It wasn't long before we knew exactly where to camp each night, as all we had to do was look for the "rings" in the ground.  It also wasn't long before I left the Scouts, as I just didn't like what I was seeing out there.  To this day, when I see a "tent trench" or even a campfire ring, I cringe and try to find a different place to camp.

And for the record, I heartily agree that a "double-walled small house" is not needed in most situations.  I really like my Tarptents!

Cheers!

Jim