[pct-l] food on the PCT

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Jun 19 12:14:41 CDT 2008

Janet,

Yes, Scott does eat "superfood", but I wouldn't say his diet is for everyone.  Scott focuses on high quality organic foods.  Like others, he goes cookless. I know he eats refried beans (dehydrated and then reconstituted), spirulina, salt, and raw honey comb.  He's been sponsored by ProBar in the past (not sure of current status), and has eaten them as well, or some other dense high calorie bar -- even homemade ones.   Andy Skurka, another high mileage champion, eats bars exclusively for his trail diet.

Exclusively adhering to either of these diets really does not appeal to me, and I would be very unhappy following either method for any length of time.  You have to figure out what does appeal to you and works for your tastes (which can change while your on the trail).  For me, it's an ongoing experimentation, as trail foods I liked one year I can't gag down the next. Ned Tibbets has recommended eating your proposed trail diet BEFORE you start your journey to allow your system to adapt to a new way of eating, and to ensure that you like it.  Speaking from personal experience, the trail is no place to discover that you hate your food.

I have also observed that it takes a while for the hiker appetite to kick in -- from weeks to a month or more.  I tend to carry way too much food in the beginning of my section hikes with a mindset of being prepared, only to dump it in hiker boxes or send it home.  This is all part of the gaining experience, and I'm still (and will always be) learning!

L-Rod