[pct-l] JMT in August

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Jun 18 02:48:54 CDT 2008

Yes,
August usually seems to be the most suitable time, not only for a southbound JMT, but also for a
northbound JMT.
I have never encountered a problem getting a permit, even on short notice, starting at Yosemite.
For north bounders starting at Whitney Portal, however, can be a real problem....if so one can
always start at Horseshoe Mdw.,....I have never encountered a problem getting a permit from
Horseshoe Mdw.

BTW.... The mosquitoes will be pretty much gone by August.

JMT Reinhold

Donna writes:

Apparently August is THE time for southbounders.  The majority of JMT hikers hike south, and do so in August.  So, you should have plenty of company. Get your permit reserved early . . .

L-Rod