[pct-l] PCT / Mt . Hood

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Jun 14 18:16:32 CDT 2008

Good afternoon, Rafter Jack,

The end of next week will be a problem unless you want to hike over serious
snowpack.  Timberline Lodge, where the PCT crosses Mt. Hood, today is
reporting 150" of snow on the ground.
http://www.timberlinelodge.com/ski_ride/conditions.php

Where the PCT crosses the highway -- actually Rt. 35 at Barlow Pass -- the
elevation is about 4150 ft. and there is 2-5 ft. of residual snow, depending
upon the aspect and overhead cover.  There are still several feet of snow at
the Sandy River crossing near Ramona Falls which is NW of Mt. Hood at about
3400 ft.

Further south in the area of Santiam Pass there is also considerable snow as
you can see at.  http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=335261  That
photo was taken two weeks ago, but we have had cool weather since, with
additional snow in most of N. Oregon above 4000 ft.

It would be better to wait to the end of next month rather than try to start
at the end of next week.

Steel-Eye