[pct-l] Grizzlies on the PCT

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 15:40:24 CDT 2008

Steel-Eye writes: The grizzly situation in the N. Cascades hasn't changed much, if any, in the last 10-15 years that I can remember.? The National Park Service doesn't have a great record in dealing with bears, but fortunately the PCT only crosses about 11 miles of the SE corner of the park.
Switchback replies: The same is true down here in the south.? The infamous High Sierra Polar Bear is very hard to detect in the snowy Sierras.? It hibernates in the non-snow spring, summer, and fall.? But is awaits any unwary backpacker entering the Sierras too soon.? This is one reason why the attrition rate is so high for PCT thru hikers.? I remember John Muir, Galen Clark,?Norman Clyde,?and I ran into some mean ones in the old days.