[pct-l] Planning for 09

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Jun 11 12:58:38 CDT 2008

Good morning,

I included my food philosophy on several of the "Prep" pages of my Journal
at:  http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

Those pages were written before my '07 hike based upon previous PCT
experience, and they discuss a no-cook option .  As it turned out, I didn't
cook at all last year.  There were several reasons:
1)  I wanted to save the 13.22 oz. associated with cooking, i.e. the stove,
pot, fuel, wind shield, support, spoon, etc,
2)  I did not want to light any fire in So. Cal. last year. It was just too
dry,
3)  I do not have a strong need for hot food,
4)  I can easily find cold foods that I consistently like,
5)  I am not susceptible to "everybody cooks" peer pressure,
6)  I strongly dislike washing cooking gear, and,
7)  I resent the loss of time associated with fussing with cooked stuff.

"No-cook" works well for me, and I will continue the practice this year.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye