[pct-l] Greenhorn

Trillium 97 trillium97 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 12:18:46 CDT 2008

I love my Hennessy Hammock and in May I just finished a section hike from Campo to Agua Dulce.  I was able to sleep suspended about 1/2 the nights, and then just under the stars the rest of the time.  The fly came in handy to make our own shade - easy to string up for that purpose.  I carried a 3/4 length Z-rest and a piece of tyvek for ground cloth for the grounded nights.  Plus the Z-Rest pads the back of my pack.  I strongly recommed taking it.  Those who don't need trees for sleeping in tend to not know whether there are suitable trees, nor really know what suitable trees look like.  I was fine in what looks like scraggly live oak.  They supported me and I didn't hurt the trees.

I was OK about sleeping on the ground, so I didn't have to stop at 3:00 just because there were trees, nor did I hike further than I wanted just to find trees.  However, as my hiking partner will attest, I sleep like a baby when I'm in the hammock.  He was great at helping to find a couple of trees for me at camp.

It's almost as fun to plan and prepare. Enjoy!

Roberta