[pct-l] Greenhorn

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 11:47:27 CDT 2008

> I figured I'd send an open invitation for advice, resources
> for information/gear, or anecdotes.
>
> One question that I've been thinking about: I currently have a Hennessy Hammock
> that has worked out great for me, but at the beginning of the trip in So-Cal,
> are there enough trees (or equivalent) to hang my hammock from?

Hi Keenan,

Welcome to the list...

Regarding PCT info/resources, see the following:

PCTA:  <http://www.pcta.org/>  Lots of info!!  (hopefully, you’re already a member!)

USFS PCNST Guide:  <http://www.fs.fed.us/pct/index.html>

Craig’s PCT Planner:  <http://www.pctplanner.com/>

Wilderness Press Guidebook SoCal:  <http://www.wildernesspress.com/book205.htm>
Wilderness Press Guidebook NorCal:  <http://www.wildernesspress.com/book206.htm>
Wilderness Press Guidebook OR/WA:  <http://www.wildernesspress.com/book123.htm>
Wilderness Press PCT Data Book:  <http://www.wildernesspress.com/book120.htm>
(all available from PCTA Store or Amazon.com – if you go to <http://www.goodsearch.com/> and type in “pacific crest trail” and select the PCTA as your charity, then click on GoodSearch Shopping and then Amazon, a %age of your purchase will go to the PCTA…  Get a ‘good’ price and donate to the PCTA at the same time…  Use GoodSearch instead of Google and donate to the PCTA every time you do a search!)

Yogi’s PCT Handbook:  <http://www.pcthandbook.com/>

PCT Atlas:  <http://www.pctatlas.com/>  (the ONLY ‘guide’ book I will CARRY when HIKING the PCT)

PCT CD-ROM Maps/Photos:  <http://www.morethanamile.com/pctaorg/>

PCT Maps by Halfmile:  <http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/mapdl.html>  (CA sections A-K, more later)

Bearcant’s PCT Elevation Profiler:  <http://www.bearcant.org/elevation.php>

Hikertrash Maps:  <http://www.hikertrash.com/>  (CA sections A-C, part of D, R; all of OR; WA part of H)

USFS Pacific SW Region (CA) Forest Visitor Maps online:  <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/>

Mount San Jacinto SP map:  <http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/636/files/MtSanJacintoSPmap.pdf>

California Snow Water Content Plot:  <http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/PLOT_SWC>  (current); <http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/PLOT_SWC.2007>  (good example of wide variation in 2 years)

Postholer:  <http://postholer.com/cgi-bin/postHoler>  (Excellent!  Years of historical data, fun to ‘play’ with)

Ice Axe Self Arrest video:  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM3xLshmNnk>  (very good 6 minute video, but does NOT replace on slope training/practice!)

AsABat’s SoCal PCT Water Report:  <http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/>

California Campfire Permit:  <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/campfire-index.html>

SIBBG 2008 Food Storage Map:  <http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/map040108.pdf>

Inyo NF food storage:  <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/bear.shtml>

Seki NP food storage:  <http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm>  (NOTE possible 2009 change!!)

Yosemite NP food storage:  <http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearcanisters.htm>

SIBBG Food Storage page:  <http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/index.htm>

Sierra Bear Boxes (Food Storage Lockers):  <http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/map.html>

“Fixing Your Feet” e-zine:  <http://vonhof.typepad.com/fixingyourfeet/>  (great info on taking care of your most important ‘gear’…  get the “Happy Feet!” booklet, at least – you and your feet won’t regret it!!)

TrailJournals:  <http://www.trailjournals.com/journals.cfm?sort=&year=2008&trail=Pacific%20Crest%20Trail>

Postholer Journals:  <http://postholer.com/journal/index.php>

The pct-l archives:  <http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/>

Regarding using a hammock on the PCT - it has been done before, and without "going to ground" very much...  Roni from Israel and the "Ewoks" used hammocks their entire treks...  I will be using a hammock, too...  You may have to stop 'early' to camp if suitable hammock support is available and you think it won't be later...  What I have been doing, also, is to use Google Earth with the PCT .kml file to search out likely hanging spots along the PCT in SoCal...  Give it a try!!  I will also carry a 3/4 length foam pad for both extra insulation in the hammock or for "going to ground" if need be...

Regarding "gear" - too many to mention, but for starters check out ULA, Gossamer Gear, Tarptent, Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs, whatever else is mentioned on the list or other forums, etc.

Have fun with the research and planning!  Happy trails!!!
Jim / "PITA"