[pct-l] Animal attacks

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Jun 6 18:22:16 CDT 2008

Good afternoon, Austin,

I can't imagine how you could get a coyote to come up really close, even if
you hiked dragging a pork-chop on a string.  In the south, it takes a pretty
good-sized coyote to be over 20 lbs. which is about the size of Aunt
Tilley's little ankle-bitter dog. They often hunt in pairs, but when the
pups are young they might hunt singly.  What may look - and sound - like a
pack is probably just Mom and Pop out trying to teach a bunch of unruly
teenagers how to hunt.

If they appear to hang around a hiker it may be because they
suspect the noisy, klutzy two-legger might flush out a rabbit or squirrel
for them to catch.  Then again, they may just be curious.

They can be playful.  I have lots of them around my place and once I watched
one of them approach my neighbor's 120 lb. Odie-type dog.  The coyote would
sneak in close them sit up and yip to get the dog to chase him 200 yds.
across my lower field and into the woods.  As soon as the dog turned around
and went back the coyote would sneak in and do it all over again.  One
afternoon I watched that routine over a dozen times in an hour, or so, till
the dog got tired of the game and took a nap.

One of the best things about the desert country is going to sleep at night,
under the stars, listening to the coyotes yipping and yodeling off in the
distance.  Great...

Steel-Eye