[pct-l] Animal attacks

Trail90 pct-l at mattmaxon.com
Fri Jun 6 18:17:54 CDT 2008

Austin Williams wrote:
> I am starting my southbound solo thru of the PCT around July 5th... I have a
> question about animal attacks...

Oh Oh....
> Am I significantly more likely to be stalked/attacked when hiking solo?
By what?
> Am
> I really going to be actively hunted by coyotes in the desert night (I plan
> on walking mostly at night in the desert)?
No
>  Do animals out there really see
> me as a meal?
No (are they curious? yes)
>   Or are my survivalist family members just being overly
> paranoid?

Yes
> Is bear mace a good idea for solo hiker?
Well not for Bear...
> A wrist-rocket?  or should I leave
> it at home and save a pound?

Yeah
> I'm not worried about rattle snakes... I've read that no PCT hiker has ever
> been bit by one (Wilderness Press).
Good
> I'm just a *tiny* bit worried about
> being a skinny thru-hiker-meal to a mountain lion.. or (more likely?) a pack
> of coyotes.

Feral dogs / roaming domestic dog packs would more likely be a problem...

Mountain Lions....I have looked for them and set up game cameras to get
a photo and I have only gotten one in 6 months.

I have hiked in the local mountains in the Los Angeles area for over 25
years on / off trail day and night and have never seen a mountain lion.

The only attacks on full sized humans are..Runners & Bicyclists
> I'll be hiking alone from mid July to late October.  Any wisdom on this
> matter is kindly appreciated.

The only critter that really scares me are the two legged type, and
domestic / feral dogs

A can of pepper spray will deter a dog and give you a chance to get away
from a human...

But....July-October it is very unlikely you would encounter either. Most
parts of the PCT in off season are seldom visited.

The only other type of problem you might encounter is hunters in
October, be aware when hunting season is in the areas you would be
hiking through.... Opening day/ weekend would be a good time for a zero
day or 2-3

The best thing you can have with you are your street smarts....If
something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't

Be aware, Hey! Good Day for a Hike! and keep moving.

Have a great trip!
Trail90